In approximately 1916, a gypsum quarry and cement plant was established ten miles northwest of Lewistown. With the plant and quarry came the town of Hanover. The company who owned the plant was quick to establish a place for its workers to stay. They put up tents and shacks to cement houses and within the span of just a few years, Hanover established itself as a town. At its peak, the town held over 250 people, had a pool hall, hotel, dance hall, dining hall, store, and a school which ran through the eighth grade. The town had its own post office, and baseball team. Two railroads went through the town, both the Great Northern and Milwaukee, making regular stops. Due to the minerals found in the area, this was the perfect spot for the quarry and plant. The Gypsum, limestone, silica, and iron oxide for cement were all present. Hanover was one of several towns established by cement companies. The company which owned the Hanover plant built all the houses of the town which they rented for almost nothing, and the company paid all utility fees. The cement plant shut down in 1932, while the quarry continued by shipping gypsum to Trident, Montana until 1965 when it too shut down. Starting in November of 1971, the demolition of Hanover began. Only two buildings from the town were moved; one house to south Lewistown and another to Forest Grove.